Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday's Grab-bag: The Blessings of Spring




These are my lilac bushes. I wait all year for them to bloom.

 

 If you live around lilacs, then you may understand what they mean:  it's starting to warm up. Spring is proceeding full speed ahead. 


When I was growing up my grandmother had beautiful lilac bushes in her yard. They were white and dark purple, and eventually my parents transplanted them to their home sometime in my teenage years.  Nothing smells better to me than real lilacs (although honeysuckle comes pretty close).   No candle or perfume or soap can imitate that smell; in fact I actually hate lilac-scented things. But the two weeks these flowers bloom I love sitting outside in the evening just to smell them, and to be honest I'm not much of an outdoorsy kind of person.




I took these pictures on a spring evening that was stormy.  It made the lilacs heavy so I thought it would be a great time to get Wiley and the flowers together in the same photo.



  The past few years we have had terrible storms right in the middle of their blooming period that have ruined the flowers by making them too heavy. 


This spring we lucked out. They got drenched but not destroyed, and I got to enjoy every petal until they drifted to the ground. And Wiley enjoyed them too, because he loves anything that makes me come outside and throw the ball.

So although this night was pretty bleak at times. . . 



Wiley and I made the best of it. . .


and we were even rewarded with a little sunshine from time to time.



How gracious of God to give me a flower in my favorite color that also smells so wonderful.  Like most blessings though, they have to be thoroughly enjoyed while we have access to them. We cannot take them for granted because they will go away, and it will be a long time until we're blessed with them again. 

Go enjoy your blessings, especially your furry ones. And don't forget to send me pictures of them too! Email me at pabibliophile@gmail.com.



Follow us on social media:  
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rescuedogblog

  Twitter: @RescueDogBlog
Instagram: @rescuedogblog  




No comments:

Post a Comment