Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday's Grab-bag: Gossamer





I've done a Wiley bath post once before.  Since that time Wiley has become increasingly cooperative when we take him; he even walked up the metal ramp on his own this time.  He still hates it, but he pulls and struggles less. While he is getting a bath he can see out a huge window and into the store. This latest time we were there an employee was juggling tennis balls. Look at his face- Wiley was concentrating as hard as possible.


 















He was so comfortable this time that he even showed some joy in looking for a reward. 


Usually I take him through the store to pick but he doesn't really show any interest. He just wants to leave. This time he investigated. Of course he wound up with a tennis ball.  Here he is staring longingly at it while we wait in line.



Another change is that he was interested in the ball as soon as we got in the car. Amy offered it to him and I said "Oh, he probably won't play with it. He is usually too nervous in the car." Well. . .  shows what I know!

Look at his face when I told him we couldn't/wouldn't play with him while the car was moving. Talk about Puppy Dog Eyes.


Anyway, one of the reasons I decided to address bath time again is because of a change in Wiley's coat. He has finally started to get (and shed) a thick undercoat. 

 
We have had him two years and he didn't have the undercoat before, even though we are well aware that Aussies have them.

 
 In fact I remember discussing him with one of the shelter workers who didn't think he was an Aussie because he didn't have the doublecoat. 



When people come to visit who haven't seen Wiley in awhile they say "Oh look how big he got," or "He is so chubby!" 
 
The patented dog shake move.

  Uh. . . . there are plenty of chubby things in this house but the dog isn't one of them!

 It's just this new growth that makes him look like a bear. I'm brushing him three times a week now. 


I'm not sure why it has taken two years for it to come in. Anyone have any ideas? I don't care that he has it. It should actually help him regulate his temperature better.  It does take forever to dry when it's washed of course but that's to be expected.



Before I close, I just have to share this with you.  I'm a big fan of Looney Toons cartoons, and we even considered Gossamer as a name for Wiley because of his color. Every time he gives his paw, which he insists on doing at least a dozen times per day, I can't help but think of this:




Thanks Amy for taking such great pictures!

If any of you readers have any idea why he's just getting his undercoat now feel free to comment here or drop me a line at pabibliophile@gmail.com. In the meantime, tomorrow is the first day of school for the students. Wiley will not like the fact that I'm gone. Keep us all in your thoughts for a smooth and safe first day, and I'll try to get a rescue story up and running by Tuesday. Thanks!


Follow us on social media:




Twitter: @RescueDogBlog


Instagram: @rescuedogblog



No comments:

Post a Comment