Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Feeling crabby



Well I'm finally back from my adventures in Baltimore and Annapolis, and my trip to New York to see The Monkees in concert. Now I can put a few solid days in on the blog, and then I have to go to a literacy conference (cue sad music here). 


However, I am pleased to report that I found the Chesapeake Bay area to be a very dog-friendly place. I didn't snap a lot of pictures on my phone because quite frankly most of the time my hands were full with either fresh-squeezed lemon/limeade, gelato, or perhaps an adult beverage. 


One of my favorite places in Baltimore was the American Visionary Art Museum. It is full of original, thought-provoking art done by various mostly untrained artists who followed no specific tradition but rather created their own. 

 
 It also has a 15 ft high poodle. As a matter of fact, when this poodle was  in the annual Kinetic Sculpture Race in Baltimore this year (the participating models are powered by humans), one of the participants used it as a backdrop to propose to his girlfriend. BOL. You can read about it here.



The entrance to the museum had this poster, which of course was out-of-date by the time I took the picture but it was too cute not to share. 


Visitors were prohibited from photographing the actual art exhibits, but I was really enamored with the art of Chris Roberts Antieau. She creates what she calls "fabric paintings," many of which are very relatable. This is a sneaky shot of one of her dog-themed pieces.

Do yourself a favor and check out her website to see what works she has created. There are a lot of dog and cat oriented pieces.


On the last day of our getaway we road-tripped to Annapolis, and just like in Baltimore, I was surprised to see so many people walking their dogs or hanging out with them at sidewalk cafes. While we were walking back from the waterfront I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this girl:
Her name was Vivian. I asked her human if I could take her picture, but that made her all excited since she is still just a puppy. It was tough to get her to sit still long enough to get a shot that wasn't blurry but I did the best I could.


I thought Viv was a cute name for her, but I said to my husband as we walked away, "If that was a male and they didn't name it Rowlf they would be doing everything wrong."



The highlight of my day was Nigel, though! Will you look at him?


I saw him from about 15 yards away, and I thought "Well that's a mutt if ever I've seen one; he must be a rescue."


So I put aside my stranger-aversion and approached just as this woman was asking Nigel's dad if she could give him a dog treat.


He's no free-loader though, so he sat pretty and he gave high fives.

His human said Nigel was feeling a bit salty since he had taken an unexpected swim in the river earlier that day, but he was being a champ about it all.  Nigel was rescued from a shelter when he was just a little puppy, and his dad said he thinks he's part Aussie, part who knows?  They keep his body hair trimmed short but he definitely has some Aussie trademarks.Take a good look at those eyes; that's a Wiley expression if ever I saw one.


And, of course, speaking of Wiley. . . his back stroke could use a little work.



Now before you go thinking about how cooperative Wiley is for these pictures and how much he loves being dressed up and photographed, take a look at his expression in this picture, which pretty much sums up how he feels. I interpret it as exasperated tolerance.


Speaking of tolerance, thanks for tolerating my vacation. I'll do my best to return to my daily updates, at least until it's time for me to go to my literacy conference. In the meantime, you need to do your best to share your rescue stories with me. Email me at pabibliophile@gmail.com.  Thanks!




PS. In non-dog related terms I'm prepared to declare the vacation a success. We had a great time in the Chesapeake with Luke and Kim.


And Carrie and I had a blast at The Monkees concert.



Last and littlest but certainly not least, last December I shared a picture of little Charlotte Josephine, Carrie and Scot's daughter who was awaiting heart surgery. I'm pleased to say she is doing remarkably well. I had a chance to visit with Charlie Jo while I was in New York. In this picture I'm telling her all about the Rescue Dog Blog.




Follow us on social media:  
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rescuedogblog 
  Twitter: @RescueDogBlog
  Instagram: @rescuedogblog


No comments:

Post a Comment