Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Tale of Two Kitties, The Riveting Conclusion

The last time I wrote in depth about the cat and kittens I had described the process of moving them in. Now they've moved out! 

I've named the mama cat Jenny, and I will talk about why at a later date because there was a lot of thought that went into that name. Anyway, Jenny and the kittens settled into the guest room, aka Amy's room, better than I could have hoped.

 They took to the litter box immediately. 

The kittens liked to hide when I would come in but time and patience and FOOD improved that situation. Each day I continued to bring one or more cats downstairs for some Wiley time.

The kittens really disarmed him. He was so curious yet so scared.

It didn't help that at first they tried to crawl under him and nurse!

Wiley also ventured into their room each night as we spent some quality time together.  

He really took his time figuring it all out.

Although I frequently referred to them as Thing 1 and Thing 2, in truth I called the one with the white Creamsicle and the all tiger-striped one was called Richard Parker. 

I knew both their new owners would rename them so it didn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

If we had kept this one I would have named him something other than Creamsicle because there's already a Creamsicle in my brother's family.

But it suited him temporarily and since I knew it was going to be hard enough to give him away I didn't want to spend too much time and energy thinking of just the right name.

This guy was named Richard Parker after the tiger in Life of Pi.  

He has such a beautiful pattern. So stripey. Is stripey a word?  It should be.

I love how they looked so much alike on their heads, with the deeper stripes above their eyes.

Eventually I gave the cats the run of the upstairs during the day, and only put them in the guest room at night. 

I was very lucky that my friend Laurie loaned me the cat tower that they enjoyed so very much.

Jenny figured out how to open the door and started to venture downstairs a bit, but luckily the kittens didn't catch on until their last day at the house.  Here's Creamsicle towering like Godzilla over this Noah's Ark music box on top of our hutch. 

This weekend the kitties went to their new homes. I will follow up on them for sure so don't worry. 

I know Wiley already is wondering where they got to, as is poor Jenny. The vet assured me that she would have separated from them in nature and that 10 weeks is an acceptable time to send them to their new homes but I still feel bad. 

Sending the kitties to their new homes will finally allow Wiley and Jenny to relax and get to know each other, and I know it's all for the best.  Wiley was very anxious whenever the kittens were out and about, and Jenny was very protective.  However, when animals are a huge part of your coping mechanism for depression, it isn't easy to part with this:

 And especially this:

Of all the backyards, in all the towns, in all the world, they walked into mine.

It's all going to be alright. Right? Good. Glad we cleared that up. 

Send me your stories please! Email me at

And just because this is Wiley's blog, I'm including this gratuitous picture of him sitting up for a carrot. Why? Why not?

Follow us on social media:

               Twitter: @RescueDogBlog
  Instagram: @rescuedogblog

No comments:

Post a Comment