Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Honey or Vinegar?

Everyone with access to cable television in America (and probably Canada) has seen the incredibly, pathetically sad commercial for the ASPCA starring Sarah Mclachlin and some pitiful animals stuck in cages or generally looking helpless while her song "Angel" plaintively plays in the background. If you haven't seen it, click the picture below to see what I mean. PS: DON'T CLICK ON THE PICTURE.  It's just too depressing. 




I actually quite like Sarah's music, but I call this commercial "the sniper" commercial. I'm just comfortably relaxing, watching tv, when I'm suddenly snipered by sadness and guilt and hopelessness. Now I know there are those who say "Good! Now you know how the animals feel." However, Wiley and I are of the opinion that we can promote rescue pets and philanthropy without making people hate themselves and the world first. 

We also believe it is essential to get the word out to people that animals are still being abused and neglected and we should all do our part.  In addition, I love when a celebrity lends their talents to promoting rescues from shelters and very much appreciate Sarah Mclachlin's endorsement of rescue pets. I just feel there are less sensationalized ways to do it, such as this video below. Please click on the picture to see a wonderful celebrity video from one of the stars of HBO's True Blood.

If any of our readers truly appreciate commercials like the ASPCA one, that's fine, no judgment here. I personally become stubbornly resistant when people purposely try to use emotional manipulation/guilt on me. That's why I prefer Kristin Bauer van Straten's commercial.  Oh, and I can't move on from discussing this video without reminding you to KEEP YOUR MONEY LOCAL please. Do not call these national hotlines if you feel you have money to spare. That money would be better spent at any local shelter or rescue organization you feel is worth supporting.

Having said all that, I have good news, and even better news. The good news is, there is a very funny video in response to the ASPCA commercial. It is a parody that pokes fun at how depressed people get when they watch the video. If you're the sort of person who might get offended by seeing that commercial spoofed avoid this video. 



The even better news is that this post was inspired by a great Buzzfeed feature called "The Best Pet Adoption Ads." You must take 3 more minutes of your day to head over there and check it out. Click any of pictures below or the title above.

  
It starts with the Kristin Bauer van Straten video, which is what reminded me of the ASPCA commercial and its parody. However, it goes on to share some posters and campaigns from the US and other countries, and I laughed out loud at some of them. 


Make sure you watch the last video, too. PLEASE. It is so warm and fuzzy. I don't get a single thing from promoting Buzzfeed. They don't even know I exist. But this feature was great, and I promise it will make you smile!  If the links don't work for some reason, copy and paste this url in your browser: http://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/the-best-pet-adoption-ads?bftw=

Ok. That's my take on the Rescue Dog advertising business. What's yours? And contribute to the positive approach by sending me your stories to feature here. Email me at pabibliophile@gmail.com.


Follow us on social media:
Twitter: @RescueDogBlog

Instagram: @rescuedogblog
 

No comments:

Post a Comment