Sunday, April 27, 2014

Prom Night


As many teachers can attest, there is much more to the job than the hours in the classroom each day. Each grade level brings its own challenges beyond the typical, but high school tends to mean attending lots of community activities, like football games and drama club plays. It certainly isn't required, but in a small school like ours the students know when their teachers are present, and the appreciation goes a long way.  One of the perks of teaching is chaperoning the prom. 



Of course we're not required to do it, but many of my friends and I volunteer to do it each year. It's a chance to see the students at their best. Something about the fancy clothes and the change of venue brings out their sophisticated side, and yet they seem to have a blast once that music comes on. The shoes come off and they look pretty worn out by the end of the night.



Between my own high school career and my years teaching I have been to 20 proms at various schools, and I've never seen kids have as much fun as they do at the school in which I currently teach.  Again, the perks of a small school. . . the students are comfortable around each other. They go out of their way to be inclusive, and they even request "oldies" from the DJ so they can get their teachers out on the dance floor. 



This year's theme was The Great Gatsby. Now since the movie came out last year everything has been coming up Gatsby, but the 1920s have always been near and dear to my heart. Hubs and I even had a 20s themed wedding 10 very short years ago. While the students (and chaperones) typically don't dress to match the theme, I did feel the need to go with the feathered headband as my salute to Daisy Buchanan. 



Anyway, I thought it would be fun to dress Wiley in his top hat and tie, even though he let me know he would not be a very good date.



 Each of the chaperones got to take home a centerpiece, and they were gorgeous this year. I love hydrangeas, and I really liked the gold accents. I tried to get a picture that did the flowers justice but I'm not sure I managed. 


Wiley looked handsome in his hat of course.


Not every dog can pull this look off.


He did have some questions about the novel The Great Gatsby.  I told him he should just read it himself, but he begged for the details.


Look at his face when I told him how it ends!


Yeah, we all feel that way Wiley.  Sorry to ruin it.  The prom itself went much better than the novel!

Follow us on social media:
Twitter: @RescueDogBlog
Instagram: @rescuedogblog
 Email me with your rescue story: pabibliophile@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment